Marlborough Concert Orchestra has the following aims:
- To provide an enjoyable and stimulating environment for orchestral players of a standard equivalent to grade 6 or above, who wish to work together to improve both individually and as a unit.
- To offer a warm welcome to new members of all ages and give returning players, or those new to orchestral playing, time and support to develop their abilities.
- To act as professionally as possible in order to make the most of rehearsals and fully develop our potential.
- To deliver performances of an increasingly high standard in order to develop the understanding of, and interest in, classical music and thus encourage a substantial and loyal local audience.
- To foster good relations with Marlborough and surrounding villages, linking with local community groups as and when appropriate.
The orchestra is a registered charity managed by a committee who order the music, make sure rehearsals and concerts run smoothly, look after finances and promote the orchestra. We are indebted to those members who take on these roles and work tirelessly to make sure the orchestra is well-run and managed.
The committee in 2018 is:
Anna Marsden – Chair
Rob Napier – Treasurer
Sue Choules – Secretary
Gráinne Lenehan – Librarian
Karen Sancto – Fixer
Karen Smith – Press and Publicity
Roselise Gentile – Conductor (ex officio)
Edward Judge – Leader (ex officio)
There are also many orchestra members, family and friends who help run the bar, raffle and ticket sales for each concert. We are very grateful for their help and support.
All members can help the smooth running of the orchestra by making it a regular commitment and attending as many rehearsals as possible. Please try to read Roselise’s rehearsal schedule so that you can practise your part and feel confident about the notes for the following week’s rehearsal. Remember to bring your own music stand and a pencil.
The committee also appreciate help with helping put the church straight at the end of rehearsals, taking part in the refreshment making rota, promoting concerts to family and friends and helping set up and clear away on concert days.
Please read the Members’ Welcome Booklet for full information on our objectives and how you can help.
In addition to weekly rehearsals the orchestra also holds social events, such as an annual summer garden party, Christmas meals and post-concert drinks. You will receive details of these via email.
For lots more news, photographs, updates, reviews and concert information do visit our Facebook page. It’s regularly updated and has photo galleries of our past concerts, rehearsals and social events for you to browse.
The orchestra is a member of Making Music